INCONVENIENCE

  “I don’t feel like it.” It’s not convenient (for me).” “I’d rather ______.” “What’s in it for me?” Hmmm. All of these statements contain the words “I” or “me.” While most of us consider ourselves to be nice people, full of kindness, and helpful to others, we often act out of our excess. What I mean by this is, we give of our resources and time when it’s convenient, when we have more than enough, or, sadly, when there is public accolade for doing so. We do what feels good rather than pursuing what is hard or uncomfortable.

In contrast, I’ve witnessed my neighbor quietly exhausting himself for over a year now providing full-time care to his wife who had a stroke and cannot even go to the bathroom by herself in the middle of the night (or during the day.) I observe my husband humbly choosing to love me enough to stick with a difficult and frustrating job to ensure that I have good health care. I recall our former pastor’s wife who repeatedly cared for elderly and dying relatives and friends at the expense of her own health. (And she probably won’t be happy with me for using her beautiful photo on this post, because she does what she does for the Lord rather than for acclaim, but to me, she’s the epitome of selfless service). These people are my heroes.

And then there’s Jesus. He came to the squalor of this world full of sin and darkness to live among us so that He could die for us to save us. I’m pretty sure none of that was convenient, or easy. Love costs. I don’t usually use The Message translation of the Bible, but I love the way it puts the familiar verse in Luke 14:33 into more earthy and current language that will hopefully shake us all up: “Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it good-bye, you can’t be my disciple.”

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRAY AND KEEP GOING

I TRUST IN THE NAME OF THE LORD

BROWN MANGOS AND BLESSED HOPE