PRACTICE STANDING

For we walk by faith, not by sight. 1 Corinthians 5:7

I love to use a silly example when I’m teaching women’s Bible study groups. Often, the ladies to whom I’m privileged to share God’s Word live extraordinarily more challenging lives than mine, so laughter is always a good way to bring a dose of joy into the lessons. One activity I’m fond of asking all the gals do is to stand up and follow my lead. Next, I ask them to carefully try standing on one leg, warning that it can be tricky to balance; thankfully I’ve never had anyone fall yet during this exercise! Finally, I ask them to close their eyes, and remain standing on one leg. Most of us really struggle with maintaining equilibrium once we have no visual reference unless we’ve practiced this skill over time. I challenge you to try it, but make sure you have something nearby to grab in case you start to topple. 😊

There is so much spiritual truth in this demonstration, and most in attendance grasp it quickly, as I’m sure you may have already done. When we can see clearly and have some grasp on what is going on around us, we have a semblance (or shall I say illusion!) of control. It is easy to stand. When things get a little shaky, and one of the figurative legs we’ve been standing on (job, relationship, church, health, government…) is suddenly snatched out from under us, we can teeter in our convictions, and feelings of helplessness and hopelessness can set in if we aren’t careful. But God calls us to still deeper faith. There are times in our lives when we must walk in faith when the night is so dark that we cannot see at all. If we have practiced trusting Him in the life lessons He has been giving us to train us in His perfect ways, we will stand firm. In those times, He asks us to trust that HE is enough. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRAY AND KEEP GOING

I TRUST IN THE NAME OF THE LORD

BROWN MANGOS AND BLESSED HOPE